Friday, October 15, 2010

Fake Ids In Niagara Falls




Do you know this face? Now it is done, I present to you Sufjan Stevens. Until very recently, and my deepest shame, yet it was for me a perfect stranger. Last week, while surfing the blog of one of our most competent Critics and observers of the music scene - I have appointed Mr. Alain Brunet here - I learn that most analysts are seasoned musical world consider him nothing less than genius. A genius multi-instrumentalist whose main instrument is the banjo ... no joke! Immediately got home, I sit in front of the MacIntosh and full throttle on Itunes question to put myself in the ear are excerpts from Gershwin's electro-folk of the XXI century.


I do not know all of your musical culture, but I warn you, that says musical genius also said musical complexity. By listening to the first excerpts of the latest installment of Mr. Stevens, I was - and it's really the least we can say - somewhat perplexed. The term engineering fits like a glove, without doubt, but the first listen is anything but a sinecure. I remind you that this is his last cd I'm talking about, "The Age of ADZ", the most experimental of them all apparently. To my ear, and I still have some musical culture in the system, it was almost cacophonous. Disappointed and frustrated not to find harmonious the first listening, I started looking for something less cracked. God be praised, Stevens has a dozen products on the market, and what work, phew! I reconfirm, we do have a talent deal with higher than average.

Bookmarks, Illinois and Michigan. Two CD, two names of U.S. states. At the time, Stevens had joked that he planned to produce 50 projects in honor of the 50 U.S. states. Can be inhabited melodies and ideas for arrangements the point of being able to afford such an insatiable musical without the risk of poisoning the acute listener to repeat? I have no certainty. But although it would probably be impossible not to, at least, find the signature of a composer through a work too thick, I would think capable of such a challenge. And for the text ... you would write an ode to Idaho potatoes as you would find poetic and appropriate. It's like that when God decides to flood a human talent, that's all.

Keeping firmly in mind that it remains preferable to worship the Creator and not the creature, I highly recommend the work of Sufjan Stevens.

I wonder what Jesus would make of an old banjo?

0 comments:

Post a Comment